Police Officer in Extremely Critical Condition After Being Shot in the Bronx

Adjust Comment Print

A New York Police Department officer was killed Wednesday morning after a suspect shot her in the face while she sat in her auto.

New York Police Commissioner James P. O'Neill said the suspect fired one round, after which the shot officer's partner called for backup.

An NYPD officer has died after being shot while in a police command post vehicle in the Tremont section of the Bronx early Wednesday. During the exchange, Bonds was fatally shot and an innocent bystander was struck in the stomach but was listed in stable condition.

Familia was rushed to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

"Miosotis Familia has been assassinated in an unprovoked attack on cops assigned to keep NYers safe", he said.

Officer Miosotis Familia was a 12 year veteran of the NYPD.

According to NBC New York, Familia found her calling on the police force later in life, joining in her 30s.

An NYPD officer has died after being shot in what has been described as an "unprovoked attack".

Bonds was gunned down by responding officials about a block from the shooting, police said. Bonds was killed by other officers as he attempted to flee the scene.

The incident came just hours after crowds gathered in America's most populous city and financial capital to watch the July 4 Independence Day fireworks at viewing points tightly secured by police.

A bystander was hit in the confrontation and transported to the hospital, according to WPIX. As "John Bonds", he served seven years in prison for a Syracuse robbery. The suspect drew a revolver and the officers fatally shot him.

The dispatch audio reveals the frantic moments after Familia was shot, as her partner screamed "Shots fired!"

He also reportedly spoke critically of police on social media, commenting that officers in Oakland, Calif., were wrong to stop a child riding a bicycle.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio expressed his gratitude for the slain officer's service to the city on Wednesday morning, according to The New York Times.

Police say there are no oustanding suspects and that this investigation is ongoing.